The Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services is proud to be a certified passport acceptance facility. Our office serves U.S. citizens of the NDSU and Fargo-Moorhead communities seeking to obtain a passport.
Please bring the following to your appointment:Full information on applying for a U.S. passport is available on the U.S. State Department website. Below is information for the most common types of applications.
- First-Time Adult Applicants
- Certified copy of your birth certificate or other proof of citizenship and one additional photocopy
- Photo identification and one additional photocopy of the ID
- Examples include a valid driver's license or military or government-issued ID.
- Social Security cards not accepted alone as valid form of ID.
- Completed passport application
- Complete online or download to complete by hand at the State Department page Passport Forms.
- Print and complete your application ahead of time to expedite your appointment, but wait to sign until asked to do so during your appointment.
- One passport photo
- If you need your passport photo taken, you can have it done at the NDSU Card Center in the Memorial Union. The cost is $10 for a set of two, payable by cash, check credit card, or debit card. It takes about 5 minutes to have your photos taken, so you can stop in and do it before your appointment.
- You will need to bring two separate payments (check or money order) for the Application Fee and Execution Fee. These cannot be combined as one payment.
- Application Fee (required): Check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of State" for $110 for Passport Book, $30 for Passport Card, or $140 for both.
- Execution/Acceptance Fee (required): Separate check or money order payable to "NDSU" for $35.
- Expedited costs (optional): Check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of State" for $60.
- Passport Renewals
- Renewal applications can often be completed by mail (saving the cost of the Execution/Application Fee). More information on requirements for mailed renewals and/or applying in person is available on the State Department page Renew my Passport by Mail.
- Passports for Minors (under 16)
- Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child's passport, which most commonly requires both parents be present to apply. To learn more, visit the State Department page for Children Under 16.
To make an appointment:
In an effort to serve you better and increase the efficiency of processing passport applications, applications will be accepted and reviewed on an appointment basis. Families and couples can make an appointment together.
- Click here to select a time to apply for your passport.
- When asked "Please indicate how you will be logging in", select the appropriate option:
- If you are an NDSU faculty member, staff member, or student, then select "I have an NDSU firstname.lastname username and password". This will allow you to login with your firstname.lastname username and password.
- If you are not an NDSU faculty member, staff member, or student and you do not have a login, then select "I do not have login credentials to this site." You will be walked through creating a new account with a non-NDSU email address.
- If you are not an NDSU faculty member, staff member, or student, and you have a login setup, then select "I have other account credentials to this site that I received by email." On the next page, enter the user name and password that you set up previously.
- Use the button "Click Here to Select Appointment Date and Time" to select your date and time. It is not necessary for you include any reason for the appointment.
- Once you click “Send” your appointment time is reserved automatically.
To cancel your appointment:
- Click on either the "NDSU login" or "non-NDSU login" button at the top of this page as appropriate and login.
- You should be automatically redirected to the "Applicant Home Page". Under the section "Information Requests" there should be an item called "(Date of original request) - (Title of your original message)". Click on this link.
- If you were not redirected to this page automatically, you can click on the link for "Applicant Home Page" in the space where the login buttons had previously appeared to access it instead.
- On the Information Request page, use the "Cancel" button to cancel your appointment. The space will automatically be made available again.
- Online cancellations are only possible up through 1 hour before the appointment. Within 1 hour, you can still cancel by emailing email@example.com.
- If you want to schedule a different time, follow the instructions to make an appointment.